Saturday, December 19, 2020

Top Ten Best Bill Murray Movie Roles

10: Saint Vincent
So this Irish guy knocks on this lady's door and says, you know, "Have you got any, uh... Any, uh... work for me?" And she says, "Um, well, you now, as a matter of fact, you could paint the porch." 'Bout two hours later, the guy comes back and says, "I've finished, ma'am, but just for your information, it's not a porch, it's a BMW." 

 This film is mostly forgotten now probably because it's a bit formulaic, and many people despise Melissa McCarthy. But it's a great performance from Bill, and I wish that more people were familiar with it. 

  9: Scrooged
If you believe in this spirit thing, the miracle will happen, and then you'll want it to happen again tomorrow. You won't be one of these bastards who says "Christmas is once a year and it's a fraud", it's NOT! It can happen every day, you've just got to want that feeling. And if you like it and you want it, you'll get greedy for it! You'll want it every day of your life and it can happen to you! I believe in it now!  
Bill hated Richard Donner's directing in this movie, and he thought the movie should have been much funnier. But he injected enough charm into the role to make it a Christmas classic regardless. 

8: Zombieland
That's still tender. 

Yes, it's just a cameo. But it's pure comedy gold, baby. 

  7: Stripes
That's the fact, Jack. 

 When I lived in L.A. several people told me that this film is their favorite comedy, which isn't absurd. It's one of the many films on this list that probably would be nothing without his presence, though. 

6: Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
I said get your ass the hell off of my boat! 

The scene in which Bill as Steve chases away an entire crew of pirates as he wears only a bathrobe and fires a pistol that has a seemingly limitless supply of bullets makes the whole film. 

  5: Tootsie
That's one nutty hospital. 

 Dustin Hoffman said that he never really considered "Tootsie" a comedy. To me, it tends to lurch too far into drama until Bill's scenes save it. If I were Hoffman I might be mad at him because he has the script's best lines. 

  4: Ghostbusters
Back off, man. I'm a scientist. 

This movie's opening scene sets the tone for the entire franchise: it's Bill's vehicle to stardom, and it happens to have a few other talented men as well. 

  3: Broken Flowers
So, all there is, is, is this. The present. That's it. 

 It's one of Bill's most underappreciated films. It's another shining example that he performs drama well too. He considered retirement after he starred in this film because he thought that it was the best performance that he was ever going to deliver for a movie. 

  2: Rushmore











But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything, but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you. 

When I watched this film for the first time many years ago I hated it because I thought that the main character was an utter moron, and I didn't quite understand his relationship with Bill's character. I've since grown to empathize with both characters, and I recognize the film's genius. 

 1: What About Bob?
We can't be expected to understand him. He is so far above us. We are like ropes on the Good Year Blimp. 

 I've discussed Bill's drunken behavior on the set of this film on this blog previously. It caused Richard Dreyfuss to hate him. It also caused a sharp realness in this film's "acting." The only other person who I could imagine playing this role as convincingly is now deceased (comedian Brody Stevens).

No comments: